The department is headed by a GM and has the following functions inter alia:
- Determine in conjunction with the department of operations , the training requirement of ATC Manpower
- Ensuring that ATS Manpower attains and maintains the required level of proficiency.
- Co-ordinate ATS training and recruitment programme.
- Determine the training institution for training of ATS manpower that are ICAO accredited.
- Programme officers for training in liaison with the department of operations.
- Review the progress and potentials of ATS trainees
- Coordinating the review of ATS training manuals and materials required for the effective training programme
- Coordinate the pre-rating examinations and licensing programme of ATS personnel.
- Participating in investigation of air incidents and evaluating the scenario leading to the incidents.
- Ensuring the elimination of the hazards identified to lead to the air incident and making quarterly reports on actions taken to eliminate them
- Developing annual reports and present to the Director of operations on the activities of the department.
NAMA TRAINS PERSONNEL ON STRATEGIC SAFETY MANAGEMENT