One of the responsibilities of NAMA as specified in the act of Parliament No. 48 of 1999 is the coordination of Aeronautical Search and rescue (SAR) in Nigeria. In order to carry out this task, a department of Search and Rescue (SAR) was created in the Directorate of Operations (DOS).
FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
1. Preparation and presentation of policy position papers on SAR/CMC for the Agency.
2. General Coordination of SAR activities with other relevant SAR Agencies, with a view to forging United SAR Structure in line with IAMSAR Manual Vol. I, II, III.
3. Coordination of the activities of RCCs, RSCs and other SAR units.
4. Monitoring of the application of all SAR regulations and instructions, and ensure compliance with standards and recommended practices.
5. Regular supervision of aerodrome aircraft crash/emergency exercises, including SAR exercise (SAREX).
6. Ensuring that agencies providing alerting services have up-to-date facilities and that personnel are current with approved operating procedures.
7. Updating of SAR Manual.
8. Documentation and publication of aerodrome aircraft emergency/crash procedure.
9. Collaborating in the preparation of agreements and MOUs between SAR centres of contiguous FIRS.
10. Ensuring the establishment of functional CMC Committee at National and local levels.